I always feel guilty for throwing good tea away after brewing especially Oolong tea. Unlike many of other teas, our Jade Oolong tea is handpicked. The best pick would consist of top 3 leaves; they are young leaves. You can also see they are full leaves (photo below). So today, we are making Jade Oolong Teapura. It is easy to make and it is good for snack. Noted that after 1st brewing, 75% of caffeine has been eliminated. We are using 3rd brewing, so there is practically no more caffeine in the tea.
Things you will need:
Jade Oolong tea 4 teaspoons
Tempura batter 1 cub
Water 3/4 cub
Tempura flakes 1 cub
Cooking oil about 1 cub
Salt and sugar to taste
1. Brew Jade Oolong tea at 180F for 3-4 minutes (your first brew). Our Jade Oolong tea is a high quality tea, you can do multiple infusions. The tea leaves will expand because they were hand-rolled into balls. You might want to do it twice separately unless you have a big tea pot. I recommend you to brew at least 3 times before cooking this dish. No need to let tea leaves dry. In a meantime, enjoy your Jade Oolong tea but don't discard your tea leaves; we can use for next steps.
2. Mix tempura batter: 1 cup per 3/4 water. (Please also read cooking direction on your batter bag, it may give a variation of water needed).
3. Put tempura flakes in a separate bowl
4. Heat oil in the pan at medium heat.
5. Dip Jade Oolong tea into batter and tempura flakes, deep fry in the cooking oil until it is golden brown. Remove to a plate.
6. While it is still hot, dash salt and sugar on to Jade Oolong teapura.
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 until you cook all your tea leaves.
8. Voila, you got yourself a snack. It is crispy with floral aroma in your mouth.
Disclaimer: We are not associated with any local or oversea tea organization.
Staff at Great Tea Road Co
Address: 16228 Main Ave SE #113
Prior Lake, MN 55372
In Store Hours
Sunday - Wednesday: By Appointment
Thursday - Saturday
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
** Please check Google before visiting in case the operating hour has changed.